Plans and directs all aspects of the engineering team activities to develop new product. Ensures projects and deliverables are in conformance with company’s established procedures and objectives.
Responsible for supervision and organizational development, including task prioritization and performance reviews of electronic engineers, firmware engineers and other staff. Provides mentoring to less experienced engineers, and leads efforts to define and update product development processes related to electronic product development.
Performs electronic development roles for selected programs as needed to support programs. Represents electronics design in engineering staff meetings as well as on an as needed basis for program reviews and division-wide initiatives.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and communicate the departmental plan in line with strategic initiatives.
- Manage projects to deliver finished products by scheduled dates.
- Support product design as outlined in the specification with safety, quality, functionality, and cost objectives in focus.
- Participate regularly on cross functional team projects, responsible for ensuring proper integration of engineering activities with respect to scope of project, definitions of system and product, strategies and tactics, risk evaluation, schedule, resource requirements, budget and returns.
- Write, review, and amend technical specifications for products, as needed.
- Research applications, technologies, and design alternatives for products from preliminary market requirements that are often lacking details. Perform engineering design work as required to support product development programs.
- Work with Leviton factories for transition to manufacturing and release of products.
- Work with vendors to foresee parts obsolescence problems and suggest and/or design solutions.
- Perform administrative functions such as reviewing & writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules.
- Manage a diverse team of professional staff.
- Recruit, train, and mentor staff. Evaluate and oversee staff development and advancement.
- Review and recommend change to all systems, policies, and procedures as needed to enhance the mission of the organization. Provide training to ensure staff follows all pertinent procedures.
- Identifying resources needed to meet departmental objectives.
- Assisting management in implementing long range strategic plans
Education & Experience
- BS in Electrical or Electronic Engineering
- MS in Electrical or Electronic Engineering is preferred
- 8+ years of experience in new product developing
- 2+ years of experience directly supervising professional staff and/or 5+ years of experience leading multi-functional teams for new product development
Skills & Abilities
- Strong communication, presentation, and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of manufacturing and assembly/production processes with the ability to reduce complex engineering problems into simplified form to educate others
- Ability to use a wide application of electrical engineering principles, theories, and concepts in the field
- Working knowledge of other related disciplines in providing imaginative, thorough, and practicable solutions to a wide range of problems.
- Able to manage a professional staff
- Experience with product development and delivery with digital and analog electronics, software, power, networking and PC/mobile applications
- Experience dealing with product designs that incorporates line power (120 Vac)
- Experience with C programming for embedded products is desired
- Strong knowledge of patent processes, application, and interpretation
- Contract Specialties Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.
Job ID: 17556